Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 21 December 2009 6:17:22 pm Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> writes:
> > On Monday 21 December 2009 5:17:49 pm Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >> Ahh, right, it's about visibility.  Hadn't caught that part.
> >
> > I think that is where the biggest misunderstanding lies.
>
> On looking at the page some more, it strikes me that part of the problem
> is that the info is buried at the bottom of the "Patterns" section,
> below some extremely geeky details that few people would care about.
> People probably stop reading before they even see it, let alone figure
> out what "visible" means.
>
> I wonder how we can rearrange this?  I think the reasoning was that the
> second through fourth paras explain the pattern language, and the
> explanation about * and *.* doesn't make sense until you've read that.
> We could just swap the fourth and fifth paras but that would break up
> the pattern language definition in a strange way.  Any ideas?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Fifth para become second as follows :
Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands display
all objects that are visible in the current schema search path — this is
equivalent to using the pattern *. To see all objects in the database, use the
pattern *.*.  For more detailed explanation see below.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net