Re: New VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: New VACUUM FULL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
> Here is an updated patch rebased to the latest CVS HEAD.
>
> One remaining concern is VERBOSE. Log messages by FULL (rewrite) are less
> verbose than FULL INPLACE. The same can be said for CLUSTER VERBOSE, though.
> I don't have any plans to make CLUSTER more verbose in the patch, but
> "more verbose CLUSTER" could be a TODO item.

Hmm.  With this patch, if I do "vacuumdb -f" it will not vacuum the
special system catalogs that can only be vacuumed with INPLACE, correct?
If that's correct, I wonder whether it would be good to do a regular
not-inplace VF for most relations, and do INPLACE for those catalogs.
That way, if a sysadmin has a vacuumdb -f in crontab, it will continue
to do what he expects.

Maybe this is not important if Simon is able to get inplace working for
all catalogs.