Re: [GENERAL] Installing PL/pgSQL by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Installing PL/pgSQL by default
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Installing PL/pgSQL by default  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I installed PL/pgSQL by default via initdb with the attached patch.  The
> > only problem is that pg_dump still dumps out the language creation:
> >     CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;
> >     ALTER PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql OWNER TO postgres;
> > What is odd is that I used the same process that initdb uses to create
> > other objects.  Does anyone know why this is happening?
>
> I think pg_dump pays attention to what schema the objects are in,
> and that's most likely creating them in PUBLIC.  Try adding
> "set search_path = pg_catalog".
>
> It's not impossible that we'll have to tweak pg_dump a bit; it's
> never had to deal with languages that shouldn't be dumped ...

I found that pg_dump tests for pg_language.lanispl == true, which is
true for all the stored procedure languages.  I can easily special case
plpgsql, or check for FirstNormalObjectId, though I don't see that used
in pg_dump currently.

A more difficult issue is whether we should preserve the fact that
plpgsql was _removed_ in the pg_dump output, i.e, if someone removes
plpgsql from a database, do we issue a DROP LANGUAGE in pg_dump?  I
don't remember us having to deal with anything like this before.