Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Takahiro Itagaki
Subject Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Can I ask the final decision whether the YAML formatter should be
applied or rejected?  As far as I read the discussion, we can apply it
because serveral users want it and we don't have a plan to support
extensible formatters in the core.

Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> -The patch is small to apply
> -Having one more "legacy" format to satisfy would actually improve the
> odds that a future modular EXPLAIN would be robustly designed
> -While it's questionable whether it's strictly a majority on voting
> here, it's close, which suggests there is plenty of support for wanting
> this feature
> -Since nothing is removed the people who aren't in favor of this format
> aren't negatively impacted by it being committed

Comments from additional discussion:
 - YAML format is the second (or the best for some people)   human-unreadabe format for EXPLAIN output.
 - JSON is not always a subset of YAML. It is not recommended to   generate/parse YAML with a JSON generator/parser or
viceversa.

 - We won't add any core hooks and plug-in to format EXPLAIN output.   Client tools may convert the output if needed.
(ex.using XLST)

 - The spec of YAML might be changed in the feature, but we use   only the basic parts. The parts will not be changed.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center