Re: Syntax for partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Itagaki Takahiro
Subject Re: Syntax for partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

> > * If a table with the same name already exists when a partition
> >   is created, the table is re-used as partition. This behavior
> >   is required for pg_dump to be simple.
>
> i guess the table must be empty, if not we should be throw an error...
> and i actually prefer some more explicit syntax for this not just
> reusing a table

Yeah, an explicit syntax is better.
I've researched other syntax, but I cannot find any good ones.
* ALTER TABLE child INHERIT parent AS PARTITION   => implemenation "PARTITION is an INHERIT" is revealed to user.*
ALTERPARTITION child ATTACH TO parent   => child is not a partition yet at that point.* ALTER TABLE parent ADD
PARTITIONchild   => "partition" need to be a full-reserved word.

Are there better idea?

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro