Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: I can't seem to put the right combination of magic into the pg_hba and pg_ident files.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 08 November 2009 10:48:49 pm Tim Uckun wrote:
> > then say you're postgres in the script with the -U (if you're using psql)
> >
> > AS ROOT:
> > psql -U postgres -h remote_db dbname
> >
> > Note that ident doesn't work so well between machines, so you might
> > want to look at .pgpass
>
> That's what I am trying to get working. In actuality I am using ruby
> and using a db library but the concept is the same. I need to log in
> as postgres when the script is running as root.  I could trust all
> local connections or something but I don't want to do that either.
>
>  When I do a psql -U postgres I get this
>
> psql -U postgres
> psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
>

> Obviously  I need to tell postgres to trust the user root when
> connected locally as postgres.
>
> How do I do that?

I think in order to solve this we will need to see at least a skeleton outline
of the steps you are taking in your script. My guess is that what you are
seeing is an out of sequence problem, not a connection problem.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net