Re: Parsing config files in a directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date
Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Re: Parsing config files in a directory
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:
> > Maybe SET PERSISTENT needs to go back to postgresql.conf, add an
> > automatic comment "# overridden in persistent.conf" and put a comment
> > marker in front of the original line.  That way the user is led to the
> > actual authoritative source.
>
> Doesn't that require the same AI-complete parsing ability we have said
> we don't want to implement?

Huh, no, it's not necessary to parse the comment previous to the value.
Just comment it off.

> Personally I think this is just a matter of usage.  If you want to use
> SET PERSISTENT, don't set values manually in postgresql.conf.  How is
> that different from the existing rule that if you want to set values in
> postgresql.conf, you'd better not set them on the postmaster command
> line?

I agree, except that some things are defined in postgresql.conf by
initdb and you probably want to be able to change them by SET PERSISTENT
anyway (e.g. lc_messages, listen_addresses, shared_buffers)