Re: ERROR: null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Robert Paulsen
Subject Re: ERROR: null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sunday 11 October 2009 3:32 am, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> Hello.
> Note, that you may use SERIAL data type and PostgreSQL will implicitly
> create sequence for you column, for example,
>     CREATE table test (
>         id SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, -- PostgreSQL will implicitly
> create 'test_id_seq'
>         dat text
>     );
>
> Regards,
> Dmitiy Igrishin

I believe that's how I started, not knowing any other way, but the pg_dump
utility spits things out in all the gory details!

Somewhere along the line the default value for the id field was lost. I at
first suspected it happened in the dump/restore cycle when I restored the
data back into 8.0 after dumping it with 8.2 but I reran that scenario and
something else happened: It would NOT restore back into 8.0 at all, so that
must not be what I actually did to get into the "lost default" situation.

Below is what 8.2 dumps out. 8.0 refuses imported that. I suppose if I had
originally edited the 8.2 dump data to "fix" this I might have gotten into
the mess I was in but I sure don't remember doing that.

8.2 dump data:
id integer DEFAULT nextval(('auth_id_seq'::text)::regclass) NOT NULL,

What 8.0 is happy with:
id integer DEFAULT nextval('vault_id_seq'::text) NOT NULL,

Bob