Re: Procedure for feature requests? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Procedure for feature requests?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> suppose I thought that PostgreSQL would benefit greatly from
> a "generate_series(DATE, DATE[, INT]) RETURNS DATE" function
> - where do I suggest such a thing? Here on -general? On
> -hackers? Directly edit
> <URI:http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo>?

I think direct edition of Todo is discouraged, particularly for
outsiders.  Suppose we decided that we didn't want to implement your
suggestion for whatever reason?  We get lots of people coming out of the
blue with a patch to implement something they found on Todo, only to
figure out that we didn't want the idea implemented in the first place.
Surely we don't want to turn people away from development just because
Todo is not well managed.

>   Suppose the feature request was not a trivial one, but
> maybe a "DEPENDS ON <object>" clause for "CREATE FUNCTION"
> to allow PostgreSQL to deny requests to drop a table/view/
> function that is needed by a function - where would I pro-
> pose that?

On -hackers, just like any other feature request, trivial or not.