Re: Feedback about Drupal SQL debugging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Feedback about Drupal SQL debugging
Date
Re: Feedback about Drupal SQL debugging  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel Pour� wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Dear friends,
>
> I have been using PostgreSQL since 6.3 releases and I am a real fan.
> Of course, I never use nor trust MySQL to deliver data.
>
> Now I use Drupal 6.3 with PostgreSQL 8.4.
>
> I loose a lot of time correcting Drupal SQL.
> You may be interested in my developer feedback.
>
> I gathered some real examples here: Guidelines for writing MySQL and
> PostgreSQL compliant SQL => http://drupal.org/node/555514
>
> This page gathers most frequent problems that Drupal users and
> developers encounter when using PostgreSQL.
>
> I would be delighted to have your feedback.
> Could some issues reasonably be fixed for a better Drupal support?

I doubt we are going to change Postgres to improve Drupal support --- it
would be better to fix Drupal.

However, I have a few suggestions:

For this item, http://drupal.org/node/555580, use || for concatentation.

I can't believe MySQL doesn't support multi-column indexes,
http://drupal.org/node/555558.

For this item, I think you want DELETE FROM history USING ...,
http://drupal.org/node/555562.

The SQL standard doesn't support multiple deletes, so odds are we will
not either, http://drupal.org/node/555648.

I show multi-value INSERT was added in PG 8.2, not 8.4,      * Add
support for multiple-row VALUES clauses, per SQL standard (Joe, Tom),
http://drupal.org/node/555568.

I am confused because I thought Drupal worked with Postgres, but looking
at your list, it seems it doesn't.

http://enterprisedb.com