Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)
Date
In response to Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:
> > The reason this is like this is that the indent binary modifies the
> > prototype exactly like the function definition, and then the awk program
> > that's used in the pipeline "pulls up" the second line:
>
> > #  Move prototype names to the same line as return type.  Useful for ctags.
> > #  Indent should do this, but it does not.  It formats prototypes just
> > #  like real functions.
>
> > In this day and age there's probably no reason to do this.
>
> Um, sorry, no reason to do which?

No reason not to leave prototypes alone in the AWK code.  Isn't the
style emitted by indent good enough already?  The comment that ctags
needs it is probably outdated (I know my ctags, the Exuberant one,
doesn't).