Re: [BUGS] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, it's a TO-THINK-ABOUT anyway.  I think the appropriate next step
> would not be to write code, but to do a detailed investigation of what
> would be gained or lost.  I don't remember exactly what we do with the
> flat-file contents.

Maybe what we need is not to get rid of the flat files, but to speed
them up.  If we're worried about speed in the pg_authid flatfile, and
come up with a solution to that problem, what will we do with the
pg_database flatfile when it grows too large?  We can't just get rid of
it, because autovacuum needs to access it.