Re: [BUGS] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... I don't remember exactly what we do with the
>> flat-file contents.

> Maybe what we need is not to get rid of the flat files, but to speed
> them up.  If we're worried about speed in the pg_authid flatfile, and
> come up with a solution to that problem, what will we do with the
> pg_database flatfile when it grows too large?  We can't just get rid of
> it, because autovacuum needs to access it.

Well, one of the components of the TODO would have to be to figure out a
way to fix autovacuum to avoid that.

Or we could consider getting rid of the pg_auth flatfile while keeping
the pg_database one, which would fix the issue for role names anyway...
but it's certainly an ugly compromise.

            regards, tom lane