Re: Arrays and LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Arrays and LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 05:04:29PM +0930, David wrote:
> Done a bit of hunting and can't seem to find an answer as to if this
> sort of thing is possible:
>
> SELECT * FROM mail WHERE recipients ILIKE 'david%';
>
> Where recipients is a VARCHAR(128)[]

It's a bit of a fiddle:

  CREATE FUNCTION flipilike(text,text)
      RETURNS boolean IMMUTABLE LANGUAGE SQL
      AS $$ SELECT $2 ILIKE $1; $$;
  CREATE OPERATOR ~~~ (
    leftarg  = text,
    rightarg = text,
    procedure = flipilike
  );

PG now understands:

  SELECT 'x%' ~~~ 'fred';

To be the same as:

  SELECT 'fred' ILIKE 'x%';

So you can solve your original problem as:

  SELECT * FROM mail WHERE 'david%' ~~~ ANY(recipients);

> The above doesn't work but thats the sort of thing I want to do...
> If this is possible and can use an index as well that would be wonderful...

No idea about that, but I'd look to a GIN index to start with.  I think
you really want to stop using arrays and do it "properly" with a
relation:

  CREATE TABLE mailaddrs (
    msgid TEXT REFERENCES mail,
    ord INTEGER,
      PRIMARY KEY (msgid, ord),
    type TEXT CHECK (type IN ('to','from','cc','bcc')),
    address TEXT
  );
  CREATE INDEX mailaddrs_address_idx ON mailaddrs (address);

then you can do:

  SELECT DISTINCT msgid
  FROM mailaddrs
  WHERE address ILIKE 'david%';

and it should do the right thing.  Not sure if you have this
flexibility though.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/