Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables
Date
Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Thursday 06 August 2009 06:32:06 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have applied the attached patch to pg_migrator to detect enum,
> > composites, and arrays.  I tested it and the only error I got was with
> > the breakmigrator table that was supplied by Jeff, and once I removed
> > that table the migration went fine, meaning there are no cases of these
> > stored in the regression test database.
>
> That might be a bit excessive.  As I understand it, arrays of built-in types
> (e.g., int[]) should work fine.  I suspect the majority of uses of arrays will
> be with built-in types, so allowing that would help a significant portion of
> installations.

Agreed.  I realized that last night, and have modified pg_migrator to
test FirstNormalObjectId.

The pg_migrator limitations are now:
pg_migrator will not work if a user column is defined as:        o  data type tsquery        o  data type 'name' and is
notthe first column        o  a user-defined composite data type        o  a user-defined array data type        o  a
user-definedenum data typeYou must drop any such columns and migrate them manually.

http://enterprisedb.com