Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> [090603 10:13]:

> Right, if it adds additional metadata that lets the tools do their magic
> better, and it's still easy to filter out, I don't see a downside.

Note, that it could (and likely will) have a downside when you get to
doing real merge-based development... A "merge" means that *all* changes
in *both* parents have been combined in *this* commit.  And all merge
tools depend on this.  That's the directed part of the "DAG" in git.  So
if you want to be working in a way that the merge tools work, you
*don't* have master/HEAD merged into REL8_2_STABLE.  You can have
REL8_2_STABLE merged into master/head.

I'll concede that in GIT, it's flexible (some say arbitrary) enough that
you can *construct* the DAG otherwise, but then you've done something in
such a fashion that the DAG has no bearing on "real merging", and thus
you loose all the power of DAGs "merge tracking" when working on new
real merging....

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,