Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me
Date
Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Throw some low-level C scutwork at me  (Greg Stark <greg.stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:23:24AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andy Lester <andy@petdance.com> writes:
> > And if you're an Emacs person, you can help figure out what the
> > modeline should be for Emacs, and we can get that in there, too.
>
> If you're an Emacs person, you fix it in your ~/.emacs file so that
> every .c file in the Postgres tree is automatically handled with the
> correct mode.  Surely vi apologists can make their editor do the same.
>
> Let me make it perfectly clear that a patch to add either vi or emacs
> decoration to every file in the tree will be rejected out of hand.
> We had a similar thing for awhile with the .sgml files, and got rid of
> that because it sucked ...

Tom,

That was truly un-called-for.  I don't care who you are or what you've
done because nobody gets to treat volunteers the way you did above.
You need to back off if you're not going to do anything helpful.

If you were wondering how our community gets a reputation for
repulsing outsiders, this is a classical example.

I'd appreciate your making an argument, if you're going to, on the
merits of the proposal at hand, rather than stooping to personal
insult.  You know better.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!