Re: Closing some 8.4 open items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:43:35PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 04:30:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > I assume the 'type' column will identify triggers, i/o functions
> > > (cstring), window functions, and maybe aggregates too;  this solves
> > > several problems at once.
> >
> > +1 for all except i/o functions.  The cstring check for that was always
> > flat-out wrong, and getting it right is far more expensive than it's
> > worth --- AFAICS you'd have to grovel through all entries in pg_type.
>
> I'll leave it out :)
>
> > But aggregates are only relevant if we decide to start showing
> > aggregates in \df --- is there consensus for that?
>
> I'd throw 'em in.

It occurs to me that we ought to allow for a possibility that a
function can be more than one special case.  For example, sum() is
both an aggregate and a windowing function, while rank() is only a
windowing function.

Working on a patch that allows a concise description of both.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!