Re: psql \d* and system objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escreveu:
> > The psql system object display issue has not been completely resolved
> > for 8.4;  see 8.4 open items:
> >
> >     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items#Changes
> >
> > So what is the proposal?  Have U/S/A flags for all commands and have
> > different system display default for each command?
> >
> [I don't read the whole thread but...] Why don't we use a DISPLAY_OBJECTS psql
> variable? The point in providing metacommands is facility. If we're using a
> psql variable, we don't need to add another character to distinguish between
> system, user, or both. Also, I don't think people frequently change the search
> class (system, user, or both) so I don't buy the argument that it is more
> easier to type another letter each time than typing a '\set FOO bar' once per
> dozens of commands.

I think the problem is that people often use \dt and then \df or \dT,
and odds are they would want different system-visible behavior for
those.  I think we could have a setting that would choose a default of
'user-only', or 'all', but I still think we would need the ability to
override it at command time.

http://enterprisedb.com