Re: psql \d* and system objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date
Re: psql \d* and system objects  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian escreveu:
> The psql system object display issue has not been completely resolved
> for 8.4;  see 8.4 open items:
>
>     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items#Changes
>
> So what is the proposal?  Have U/S/A flags for all commands and have
> different system display default for each command?

[I don't read the whole thread but...] Why don't we use a DISPLAY_OBJECTS psql
variable? The point in providing metacommands is facility. If we're using a
psql variable, we don't need to add another character to distinguish between
system, user, or both. Also, I don't think people frequently change the search
class (system, user, or both) so I don't buy the argument that it is more
easier to type another letter each time than typing a '\set FOO bar' once per
dozens of commands.

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/