Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > OK, well, barring the context issues, what do people think of the idea?
> > >
> > > What I was thinking was that this would be a setting on the SET ROLE
> > > statement, such as:
> > >
> > > SET ROLE special WITH SETTINGS
> > >
> > > ... or similar; I'd need to find an existing keyword which works.
> > >
> > > I think this bypasses a lot of the issues which Tom raises, but I'd want
> > > to think about the various permutations some more.
> >
> > I have added the following TODO:
> >
> >     Allow role-specific ALTER ROLE SET variable settings to be processed
> >     independently of login; SET ROLE does not process role-specific variable
> >     settings
> >
> >         * http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/49B82CD7.20802@agliodbs.com
> >
> > and the attached patch which better documents our current behavior.
>
> I don't think there is an agreed todo item there. We were in the middle
> of discussing other ideas and this is the wrong time to have a longer
> debate on the topic. We should not squash other ideas by putting this as
> a todo item yet.

Since when does a TODO item squash ideas?  I didn't chisel the TODO item
in stone;  if there is more discussion, someone can update the TODO
item.  Leaving stuff dangle around undocumented is the wrong approach.
As it is the TODO items is vague.

http://enterprisedb.com