Re: Enable user access from remote host - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Enable user access from remote host
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 11 March 2009 1:29:18 pm Piotre Ugrumov wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 01:41, akla...@comcast.net (Adrian Klaver) wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > I inserted the following line:
> > >
> > > host    test           angelo      0.0.0.0/0          md5
> >
> > Did you pg_ctl reload to get the change noticed?
> >
> > > and in pgAdmin I insert
> > >
> > > angelo as user
> > > mypassword as password
> > > test as service
> > >
> > > and I left blank the SSL field.
> > >
> > > Moreover I have executed the following commands (before try to
> > > connect):
> > > sudo -u angelo psql template1
> > > then
> > > alter user angelo with encrypted password 'mypassword';
> > >
> > > But I have the same problems.
> > > Why?
> > > What do I wrong?
> > > Thanks, bye bye.
> >
> > --
> > Adrian Klaver
> > akla...@comcast.net
> >
> > --
>
> I restarted my xubuntu (where I installed postgresql) but I have the
> problem.
> Thanks, bye bye.

It is not necessary to restart the computer. As the Postgres superuser(usually
postgres) run the command pg_ctl with the appropriate parameter. In the case of
changes to pg_hba.conf it would be pg_ctl reload. This tells the Postgres
server to reload its conf files so it can take advantage of the changes. Some
conf parameters need a pg_ctl restart as they are only read at start up of the
server. The comments in the *.conf files help you with this (especially in
newer versions pf Postgres). Also look at for more information:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/client-authentication.html
As to your particular problem I am going to need some more information. I went
back through the thread and cannot see any specific error messages. What
exactly is "the same problems"? Other question, can you connect locally?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net