Re: I don't want to back up index files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: I don't want to back up index files
Date
Re: I don't want to back up index files  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>> Any chance of something like this being done in the future?
>>>
>> I am going to go out on a limb here and say, "no".
>
> That would probably be possible, by placing all indicies in a separate
> directory in data, but....

I could simply use the system catalog to determine which files to backup
and which to ignore.  I suppose I would prefer to backup all unique
indexes, and perhaps all system indexes.  It's the proliferation of
large indexes that serve only to enhance select performance that I would
want to ignore.

> So like JD said, if you don't want to dump indicies - just use pg_dump...

If pg_dump were an acceptable backup tool, we wouldn't need PITR, would
we?  We used pg_dump for years.  There's a very good reason we no longer
do.  That suggestion is silly.

-Glen