Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sunday 01 February 2009 12:27:37 damien@dalibo.info wrote:
> Josh Berkus a écrit :
> > Damien,
> >
> >> Well in that case i can't help but notice that the official logo is
> >> nowhere to be found on the official website :-)
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda
>
> Yes. My point was just to say that what Gavin described as the official
> logo ( i.e. the blue/white/black elephant head ) is not displayed on the
> propaganda page.
>
> As this logo is not available on the www.postgresql.org website, i came
> to the conclusion that it was an "old version" and the "new version" was
> the one that was displayed in the banner on each page of
> www.postgresql.org ( i.e. the white-only elephant head )
>
> Apparently i'm not the only one who made this mistake.
>
> > which has some images, plus a link to:
> >
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/graphics/
> >
> > In what way is this not "official"?  How is a wiki more "official", or a
> > better place for logos, than pgFoundry?
>
> The wiki is not more official than pgFoundry :-)
>
> All i'm saying is that pgFoundry may not be the better place to display
> graphics. I'm sure it's useful for coders and project managers. But for
> visual artwork, it's almost depressing...
> For instance, looking for a specific item takes a very long time. If the
> files were in a gallery, pgfoundry would be far more intuitive and easy
> to use. I might be wrong but my guess is that pgfoundry can't display
> simultaneously those images. Instead we have just a list of links and
> you have to click on each link and then unzip the files to find what you
> want.

Actually pgfoundry does provide static home page files, so a gallery could e
put up there. I do think the wiki is probably a better place than using
pgfoundrys web space though (remember, we had no wiki at the time the current
stuff was put up)

> So i just proposed to do a kind of gallery on the wiki, because i know
> mediawiki can do such things...
>
> Let's just have a look at what other projects do :
>
> http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/marketing/logos/
> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Proposed/AllImages
>
> I'm not saying we should follow these examples blindly, but maybe we
> could discuss what can be done to help people who want to create
> marketing material for PostgreSQL.
>
> Here's some ideas that could make things easier :
>
> 1- As i said, putting the logos in a gallery would be useful.

The main reason we didnt do this original was because folks were concerned
about bandwidth involved in showing a page with hundreads of images. So, we
put up some of the most common ones with a pointer to where people could find
more if they were really looking for them.

> 2- Avoid proprietary formats. Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are nice
> but Inskape and The Gimp both rock. PSD files could be replaced by XCF,
> and AI files could be replaced by SVG.

AIUI, the images done on the current propoganda page were created with
Photoshop, and we felt it better to give people the source files if they
wanted to modify or convert them, rather than just the GIF files. Personally
I'd like to see the GIF files replaced with PNG files as well...

> 3- Don't ZIP artwork files.

Again, this was done for bandwith purposes. (Not arguing it doesn't suck in
several ways, just letting you know the reason)

> 4- Describe something like "identity guidelines". For example :
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Branding

+1

> 5- Define a color palette would be cool. For example :
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Colors

+1

> 6- Sharing Scribus templates would be nice too.

+1

One reason this has never been changed is there was disagreement over what
direction we should go. Some people like yourself wanted to do a gallery of
pictures, because of its visual appeal and being somewhat simple for end
users.

The main arguments against that were issues with browser compatability/
stability (some browsers will choke on things like svg files, or if you go to
a page with couple MB of images to download). The other issue is that the
gallery idea seemed limited for tracking changes over time; some people
wanted us to put items into CVS repository on pgfoundry, and have end users
access them via CVS. This way updated images couldbe kept track of, and it
would be easy to access the images en masse, using tools many project members
would be familiar with.

While you're going through all of this, it's important to also realize we need
to server two groups of people here. The first group is advocacy folks
theselves; ie people like yourself and Susanne, who are creating flyers and
other materials for promoting postgres. For you folks, a few extra hoops is
not so much a problem. But the other group of people is that of casual users
who just want to stick a Postgres button on thier web page / blog etc... for
those users, getting these web buttons needs to be extremely easy (both to
find and download) a la the propoganda page.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net