Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 04 February 2009 17:26:43 damien@dalibo.info wrote:
> Gavin M. Roy a écrit :
> > Thanks for the change, however I believe it should either be dropped,
> > since it is user group specific.
> > If you're keen on keeping it, I'd suggest something along the lines of:
> >
> > "The Japan PostgreSQL Users Group's logo is a turtle."
> >
> > and if you add that then you should add
> >
> > "The Italian PostgreSQL Users Group uses a cartoon elephant with an
> > Italian flag."  (see itpug.org)
> > and go down the list.
> >
> > I know the France Users Group has a different logo as well, the normal
> > logo with a sort of multi-color circle around it:
> > http://www.postgresql.fr/
>
> Yep the multi-color circle is the logo of the International Organization
> of the Francophonie (i.e. french speaking community)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francophonie
>
> You might find it on other french-speaking open source groups such as
> Gnome-FR : http://media.biologeek.com/images/logos/gnome-fr.png
>
> I think the propaganda page shouldn't talk about local group logos.
> concerning the turtle i thought that in Japan it is actually used
> instead of the elephant , it's not the logo of the japanses community in
> itself. So i told made myself that was more an "alternate" logo rather
> than a community logo, but i recognize the differennce is very subtile :-)

Well, that was certainly the original reasoning. I remember being told that if
you went to Japan and showed them the elephant logo, you might get zero
recognition. Ie. in Japan, the turtle is postgres is the turtle, and the
elephant logo is odd. Perhaps that has changed now? Maybe JPUG has adopted
the turtle as it's own, and the elephant is also recognized... dunno, perhaps
we can get someone from JPUG to wiegh in?

> I didn't knew about the advocacy page on the wiki when i started this
> thread. Now i guess some parts of my messages might have been a bit
> disrespectful to the people that worked on this page. I'm sorry for that.

Sometime you have to shake things up to make progress. As long as you're
willing to put in the effort to improve things, I don't think anyone will
give it a second thought.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net