Re: weaknesses and strenghts of PG - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: weaknesses and strenghts of PG
Date
Re: weaknesses and strenghts of PG
List pgsql-advocacy
Thomas Finneid wrote:

> I am researching an advocation paper on Postgres. Basically I would like
> to make a list of the most important strengths and weaknesses of
> Postgres compared to a couple of other major databases.
>
> The aim is to have a factual technical background for when advocating
> Postgres to potential users.

My Tech Talk at HP last year had a bunch of this:

https://fossbazaar.org/content/josh-berkus-two-great-open-source-databases-comparison-2008-06-26

I will say overall, that a *real* comparison of appropriateness of
various databases will have to be painfully detailed.  I was asked at
Sun to do a breakdown of "when should we recommend" just for Postgres,
MySQL, Derby and Oracle; I wouldn't want to do the whole field.  And
don't forget that there's a whole new ball game of specialty databases
these days, including (but not limited to):

DW/BI databases:
    Greenplum
    Netezza
    Aster
    Paraccel
    LucidDB
    etc.

Object/Multivalue DBs:
    DB4O
    Cache
    CouchDB

Embedded DBs
    HSQLDB
    Derby
    SQLite

Others
    Hypertable
    Memcached

Also, when you compare "MySQL" you have to treat each storage engine
really as a separate database for comparison purposes; they don't behave
the same, and usually migration between table types is very difficult.

I hope you have a year for this project!

--Josh Berkus