Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> BTW, whilst we are being beat about the head and shoulders with how
> Oracle et al already have features like this, it is entirely appropriate
> to wonder how come it's not in the standard.  Those companies surely
> pretty much control the standards committee, and they have managed to
> push a ton of rather dubious things into the last couple of SQL updates.
> If row-level security is such a mess that they couldn't standardize it,
> that tells me something.

For my 2c, for whatever it's worth, it's a combination of a specialized
user base and the fact that this kind of security used to only be in a
seperate product (eg: Trusted Oracle).  Perhaps it will be in the
standard some day, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that.
Certainly it'd be nice if it was already there.
Thanks,
    Stephen