Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:57:13AM -0500, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Connections are pooled on the client end, not on the server end.  So,
> you'd be able to pool connections on your web server, and should, for
> reasons documented by others.  However, since Abby and Barb are using
> different computers, you won't achieve anything by introducing pooling
> into your desktop application.

Connection pooling can function anywhere; you could use it client side
(like the connection pooling built into, say, PHP) where what you say is
true.  You can also use something like pgpool on another box (maybe the
database server itself) and point all clients at it.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/