Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?
Date
List pgsql-general
Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I understand why pooling within a process itself is a good thing.
> However, say I have two users running the same program on different
> desktop machines.  At present, those applications connect with the same
> username/password that's tied to the program and not the actual user.
> It seems like if Abby and Barb end up sharing the same connection from
> the pool, and Abby runs some giant report query, then Barb would get
> held back while she waits for it to finish.  Is that true?  Even if not,
> what would be the advantage in the two of them sharing a connection?

Connections are pooled on the client end, not on the server end.  So,
you'd be able to pool connections on your web server, and should, for
reasons documented by others.  However, since Abby and Barb are using
different computers, you won't achieve anything by introducing pooling
into your desktop application.

--
Guy Rouillier