Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Jan 15, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > However, it pgpool can't pool connections if each connection has its
> > own username.  Not sure what exactly is causing it not to work for
> > you,
> > but that was the first thing that came to mind.
>
> The usernames are per-app.  Zope connections with username "zope", for
> example.  However, any given application might have 30 instances
> running at any time.

You might be hitting up against pgpool being pre-emptive on startup.
i.e., it's establishing a bunch of connections right off the bat
so they're available right away.  If your application actually uses
less connections than pgpool maintains, then it's not going to be
a benefit.

> > Are you having a problem?  If so, what is the problem?
>
> Honestly?  That so many people are singing the praises of connection
> pooling and I thought I'd better at least see what the excitingment is
> about.

Well, it's a good instinct to look into stuff like that.  Especially now
that you've discovered that it's not cut and dry.

Try exercising your application under load to see if pgpool helps.  If
it keeps extra connections open during idle time, that won't really
hurt much, but if it reduces server load under stress, that's worthwhile.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com