Re: Open item: kerberos warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Open item: kerberos warning message
Date
Re: Open item: kerberos warning message  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus, et al,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> Looking at the open item about the new error message shown when Kerberos
> is compiled in, and not used:
> assword:
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "mha"
> psql: pg_krb5_init: krb5_cc_get_principal: No credentials cache found
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "mha"

That is annoying, I can understand that.

> The reason this is happening is that we are initializing Kerberos even
> if we're not going to use it. The reason for doing *this*, is that if
> kerberos is compiled in, we use it to find out if we should try a
> different username than the one logged in to the local system - we look
> at the kerberos login.

This made sense before we had mappings support because the only user you
could possibly be in PG is the one you authenticated as.

> We don't do this for any other login, including kerberos over GSSAPI.
> AFAIK, we've heard no complaints.

Well, I havn't moved all my systems to GSSAPI yet.. :)

> Thoughts?

Now that we have support for mappings, I expect it will be more common
for a user to authenticate with princ 'A' and then connect using their
Unix id 'B' to a PG user 'B'.  As such, I'm alright with dropping
support for this.  Users can always use -U (or equiv) if necessary.
Thanks,
    Stephen