Re: Quiet "CONTEXT"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Quiet "CONTEXT"?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Toews wrote:

> This works perfectly in psql (exactly what I wanted). However, I'm most
> comfortable using PgAdminIII, and I've tried adding "SET VERBOSITY TO
> terse;" to either the first command or within the PL/pgSQL function and
> get the same error:
>
>    unrecognized configuration parameter "verbosity"
>
> Is the feature described above unique only to psql? or how can I modify
> either the function or PgAdminIII session to achieve the same behaviour?

Error reports are always sent by the server to client in full.  It's up
to the client to do interesting things to them; psql is able to display
it in full, or only the most interesting bits, by changing the
"verbosity", which is what \set does.  This does not change anything in
the server.  This means that if you want pgAdmin to display less of the
message, it's something that pgAdmin must be told to do.  Perhaps having
a less verbose mode is just not implemented, or maybe it's a preference
option you can change.