CREATE DOMAIN with REFERENCES - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reg Me Please
Subject CREATE DOMAIN with REFERENCES
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all.

I have a number of tables that are actually dictionaries.
This means that, in order to keep the reference integrity, in a number of
other tables I have FK definitions like these ones:

CREATE TABLE dict1 ( d1 TEXT PRIMARY KEY, ... );

CREATE TABLE user1 ( d1 TEXT NOT NULL REFERENCES dict1 DEFAULT 'value1' );

I am trying to simplify this thing by defining DOMAINs with the proper "NOT
NULL" and "DEFAULT" predicates.
But it seems there's no way to CREATE a DOMAIN with a "REFERENCES ..."
predicate, possibly in the optional CHECK.
At the moment I have solved the issue with a function that CHECKs for the
VALUE being already in the proper dictionary.
But this way I loose the explicit reference integrity.

Is there any better advise for this need?

Thanks.