Re: postgresql on 64-bit windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: postgresql on 64-bit windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Dann Corbit wrote:
> [...]

All of it, it will just have to be in the form of OS cache. This is the
case where it helps to use win64 even if you are only running 32-bit pg.

> How large can a table become?

Same limit as in 64-bit version AFAIK.

>>> There's a thread here about possibly supporting 64-bit postgresql on
>>> windows:
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00081.php
>>>
>>> Are there major issues holding that back or is it just a lack of
>> demand?
>>
>> Both.
>>
>> The 32-bit version covers almost every case on Windows (thanks to our
>> multi-process architecture), and works absolutely fine on Win64 (and
>> does get some advantages in running on Win64 vs Win32).
>
> Things that perform 64 bit math (e.g. the 64 bit date/time data type)
> should get a big speedup when a true 64 bit version is created.  I guess
> that you can measure this difference on a 64 bit Linux verses a 32 bit
> Linux.  It would certainly be interesting to see what the Linux
> difference in performance is on identical hardware, but with a 64 bit OS
> and compiler compared to a 32 bit OS and compiler.  I guess that the
> Windows speedup will be proportional.

It should be, yes.

>> See some other earlier thread about some major obstacles around
>> datatype
>> sizes on Win64 for the main obstacles.
>>

>>> Is there still active work going on?
>> I don't know of anybody actively working on it right now.
>
> Is it planned?

Can't speak for others, but I am not currently planning it myself
anytime near. But that may change.

//Magnus