Re: Where to Host Project - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Where to Host Project
Date
Re: Where to Host Project  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > That's kind of what I'm doing now. But I'm wondering if I should
> > bother with pgFoundry at all. It seems pretty dead (see Josh Berkus's
> > reply).

Actually, pgFoundry remains extremely popular.  Currently, we're getting an
average of 2-3 new projects a week.

The issue with pgFoundry is that it's based on a hacked version of the
GForge code, which had legacy problems to begin with and is now no longer
upgradable.  And while lots of people want to complain about it, nobody
wants to put in the 15-25 hours of work required to fix it up so that it
supports SVN and code snippets (including me).

However, I agree with Robert that maintaining a collab site is, today, a
bad use of our limited administration resources, which could be better
turned to developing directory and build services (for "kitchen sink"
packages).  Realistically, though, shutting down pgFoundry might take as
much work as fixing it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus