Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Em Monday 15 September 2008 11:31:40 Harald Armin Massa escreveu:

> That would be more the "Oracle stored procedures can be encrypted." Which
> is an argument for ISVs, as they can easier force their customers to pay
> "software maintainance".
>
> With open code, clients could buy support from others, who may be cheaper
> or, even more dangerous, more qualified.

The problem is not just competency or qualification.

It is not everywhere where people respect copyright or licenses.  And it is
not uncommon to have less qualified people to steal code and software to
resell.

Sometimes the guy from the hardware store makes a copy of the hard disk before
wiping it out and it is done: he has access to everything in there...  If he's
just a little smart he'll be able to access the whole DB, including stored
procedures that took a long time to be debugged and optimized.

It is not always, but sometimes I see that using languages that allows linking
to "compiled" code is a beneficial thing.  I am thinking about Python (.pyc,
.pyo files), C/C++ and Java here...

With enough will one can read the code of any of those, but if we can make it
harder why not?

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Attachment