Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
Re: Oracle and Postgresql
List pgsql-general
David,

> protection of database code, etc.

Are you saying that the fact that the source isn't legally available
to the population at large is a feature?  If you are, it's an argument
for security by obscurity, a system with a lot of deep known flaws.

That would be more the "Oracle stored procedures can be encrypted." Which is an argument for ISVs, as they can easier force their customers to pay "software maintainance".

With open code, clients could buy support from others, who may be cheaper or, even more dangerous, more qualified.

As long as the disease of "Intellectual property" is running around, that "I can encrypt my code" will provide some felt benefit for PHBs....

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare