Re: Should enum GUCs be listed as such in config.sgml? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Should enum GUCs be listed as such in config.sgml?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Currently, config.sgml still describes the new "enum" GUC variables
> as being of type "string" --- but pg_settings says they are "enum".
> This is not very consistent, but I wonder whether changing the docs
> would be more confusing or less so.  I note that section 18.1 doesn't
> mention the enum alternative either.

I looked into this and I think the documentation is fine.  If enums
didn't require quotes but strings did, we would document them
differently, but the fact is that enums are the same as strings except
enums have a limited number of possible values --- that isn't something
that is usually identified in a variable type definition heading.

http://enterprisedb.com