Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make the pg_stat_activity view call a SRF - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make the pg_stat_activity view call a SRF
Date
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make the pg_stat_activity view call a SRF  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday 18 August 2008 10:53:51 Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Uh, I need more details on this.  Can you give an example?
> >
> > Good:
> >
> > regression=# select * from pg_get_keywords();
> >        word        | catcode |        catdesc
> > -------------------+---------+-----------------------
> >  abort             | U       | Unreserved
> >  absolute          | U       | Unreserved
> >  access            | U       | Unreserved
> >
> > Not so good:
> >
> > regression=# select * from pg_show_all_settings();
> > ERROR:  a column definition list is required for functions returning
> > "record"
> >
> > There's no longer any very good reason for built-in SRFs to not define
> > their own output record type.
>
> TODO updated:
>
>     * Fix all set-returning system functions so they support a wildcard
>       target list
>
>       SELECT * FROM pg_get_keywords() works but SELECT * FROM
>       pg_show_all_settings() does not.

If this isn't critical, and no one is working on it yet, I can see about
whittling away at it for 8.4.

--
Robert Treat