Re: SeqScan costs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: SeqScan costs
Date
Re: SeqScan costs  (Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 07:33:40PM +0100, Andrew Gierth wrote:
> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to pgsql.hackers as well.

>  Decibel> Roughly what I get on my MBP (I'm about a factor of 2
>  Decibel> slower). This makes me think it's an issue of having to slog
>  Decibel> through an entire page one row at a time vs just using the
>  Decibel> index. To test this I tested selecting i=200 (remember we
>  Decibel> start filling data at the back of the page, so 200 would
>  Decibel> actually be the front, and I'm assuming the first value that
>  Decibel> would be hit) vs i=1. With seqscans, I saw about a 10%
>  Decibel> difference. With index scans the difference was moot, but
>  Decibel> also note that now index scans are in-between seqscans in
>  Decibel> performance.
>
> The problem is that by looking for a constant row, you're actually
> eliminating the entire effect being tested, because the uncorrelated
> subselect is run ONCE as an initplan, and the entire query time is
> then spent elsewhere. The differences in runtime you're seeing are
> pure noise (the fact that you had to increase the iteration count so
> much should have been a clue here).

Makes sense, and yeah, I was wondering a bit about that. I'll try to
fake it out with offset 0 later on if no one beats me to it; I do still
think we could just be seeing the effect of slogging through 200 tuples
instead of going directly to the one we want.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org