Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit
Date
Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> Wasn't this exact proposal discussed and rejected awhile back?

We rejected Greenplum's much more invasive resource manager, because it
created a large performance penalty on small queries whether or not it was
turned on.  However, I don't remember any rejection of an idea as simple
as a cost limit rejection.

This would, IMHO, be very useful for production instances of PostgreSQL.
The penalty for mis-rejection of a poorly costed query is much lower than
the penalty for having a bad query eat all your CPU.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL