Re: Review: DTrace probes (merged version) ver_03 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Review: DTrace probes (merged version) ver_03
Date
Re: Review: DTrace probes (merged version) ver_03  (Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Lor wrote:

> I made some changes to the sed script so it works with the sed on
> Solaris & OS X. I tested this patch on both Solaris and OS X with DTrace
> enabled and disabled and also verified that the sed script works with
> GNU sed. I hope this is the final change for this patch. Thanks for
> catching all the issues, and my bad for not testing with DTrace disabled.

Applied.

Something seems wrong with this argument:

> +    /* The following probe declarations cause compilation errors
> +         * on Mac OS X but not on Solaris. Need further investigation.
> +     * probe buffer__read__start(BlockNumber, Oid, Oid, Oid, bool);
> +     * probe buffer__read__done(BlockNumber, Oid, Oid, Oid, bool, bool);
> +     */
> +    probe buffer__read__start(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool);
> +    probe buffer__read__done(unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, bool, bool);
> +
> +    probe buffer__flush__start(Oid, Oid, Oid);
> +    probe buffer__flush__done(Oid, Oid, Oid);

How come "Oid" works for FLUSH_START but not READ_START and READ_DONE?

Also, I wonder if there's any proof that this works at all on Mac OS X,
given that the rule to create probes.o from probes.d is conditionally
pulled in only for Solaris?