Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> [080424 14:37]:
>
> > I am confused exactly what people want changed in the patch.  Some want
> > no control over wrapping in file output, and others want $COLUMN to
> > control column file output.  The only person I am seeing code from is
> > Greg Stark, but I think most don't want his changes.
>
> If I had to vote as as user, Greg's suggestion made the most sense to
> me.  It was a simple approach that I could easily understand, and easily
> envision using with and without a pager.
>
> But basically, I pretty much *always* use a pager, having settled on
> comfortable $LESS.
>
> That said, I really don't see myself using the wrapped format so maybe
> my vote shouldn't count.

Greg's suggestion is to use $COLUMNS if the width can't be determined
because the output is not directly to the screen.  $COLUMNS is updated
by many shells.

The arguments I have heard are:
o  wrapped never affects file/pipe outputo  wrapped to file/pipe controlled only by \pset columnso  wrapped to
file/pipecontrolled by $COLUMNSo  wrapped to file/pipe controlled by \pset columns or $COLUMNS

http://enterprisedb.com