Re: WIP: psql default banner patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: WIP: psql default banner patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:28:20 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Why do we care, if the version matches? Not that I am feeling like
> fighting about it but it seems just a waste of bytes. It makes sense
> if the version doesn't match.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Actually in thinking about this, this is what the patch does now:

If version matches:

jd@scratch:~/pgsql/src/bin/psql$ ./psql -U jd -h localhost -p 9000
postgres Type: help for help.
postgres=#

If version doesn't match:

jd@scratch:~/pgsql/src/bin/psql$ ./psql -U jd -h localhost postgres

WARNING: Server 8.2, psql is version 8.4. Some psql features may not
work.

Type: help for help.
postgres=>

I understand Alvaro's point on the translation so no sweat, I will fix
that. What if I add the version to the help? With this patch if you
type help you get:

postgres=> help

You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
For SQL help type \h or \help .For help using psql type \? .To quit psql type \q .
To view the copyright type \copyright .

postgres=>

I could change that to:

You are using psql 8.2.7, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
For SQL help type \h or \help .For help using psql type \? .To quit psql type \q .
To view the copyright type \copyright .

Does that make sense?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake