Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
Re: get rid of psql welcome message  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 17 April 2008 12:04, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:11:58 -0400
>
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > Brendan Jurd wrote:

> Currently our prompt is fairly verbose:
>
> Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>

> We could just do:
>
> psql 8.1.10 - postgresql server version 8.1.10
>
> Type: \h for SQL help, \? for psql help, \q to quit
>
> postgres=#

I think it's getting overlooked because most people don't deal with it, but I
really think we need to keep the SSL info as is.  Actually I think we ought
to keep the whole thing and just add the no-splash option for advanced users,
but barring that, the SSL info is very handy when you're working on SSL
enabled servers.

--
Robert Treat