Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
Re: get rid of psql welcome message  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:11:58 -0400
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Brendan Jurd wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Tom Lane  wrote:
> >
> >> Peter Eisentraut  writes:
> >>  > Around  it
> >>  > was proposed to truncate the psql welcome screen.  What do you
> >>  > think about that?
> >>
> >>  Personally. I'm very seriously against losing the version number
> >> banner. I could do without any of the rest of it.

Currently our prompt is fairly verbose:

Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help with psql commands      \g
orterminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

We could just do:

psql 8.1.10 - postgresql server version 8.1.10

Type: \h for SQL help, \? for psql help, \q to quit

postgres=#

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit