Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > > IIRC, last time I tried it, the failure was because I couldn't get it
> > > to build the proper typedefs. Any chance you could just put a regularly
> > > updated typedefs file somewhere that I could wget down?
> >
> > Have you tried the CVS version?  It should support typedefs on Linux?  I
> > can put a continually-updated version on my ftp site if people want it.
>
> A typedef file generated from a single build is no good.  We need at
> least one for a regular Unix and another one from Windows.  The set of
> typedefs is different.
>
> If everyone is expected to generate the typedef on their local builds,
> then the pgindent output will be different for every developer, thus
> generating lots of spurious changes.  This is not acceptable nor useful.

The source code is the same for both Unix and Windows but you are right
some typedefs are only visible on windows.  I think most are from
EXEC_BACKEND so compiling with/without that should help but then you
have to merge the typedef lists, of course.

I count 2481 typedefs found on my build.  I don't think we have to find
every single typedef in the system for pgindent to be useful, but if we
want people to be able to use this we should choose a single typedef
file and all use that.   I am willing to create a standard one for
everyone and upload it daily to the community ftp server.  It will not
be perfect but I can improve it as people make suggestions.

http://enterprisedb.com