Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Chris Browne wrote:

> > Would it be a terrible idea to...
> >
> > - Draw the indent code from NetBSD into src/tools/pgindent
> > - Build it _in place_ inside the code tree (e.g. - don't assume
> >   it will get installed in /usr/local/bin)
> > - Thus have the ability to run it in place?
>
> Yes, but it bloats our code and people still need to generate the
> typedefs and follow the instructions.

I suggested to you awhile back that we could keep a typedef file on the
repository, saving one step.

I don't see the problem with keeping the BSD indent for now, until we
figure out the set of options GNU indent needs to behave properly.  It's
not all that much code, after all.

> The other problem is if they run it on a file they have modified, it
> is going to adjust places they didn't touch, thereby making the patch
> harder to review.

That should be rare if pgindent is run frequently, I think.  (And
anyway, there are tools to remove unwanted hunks from patches if the
author so desires.)

I guess the point here is that pgindent is a tool that should _help_
developers.  Making it harder to run is not helping anyone.