Re: Persistent objects within PG or the availability of non-logged tables or databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Persistent objects within PG or the availability of non-logged tables or databases?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:19:57 -0600
Keaton Adams <kadams@mxlogic.com> wrote:

> there a way for an object (variable/table/etc) to remain persistent
> in memory that is shared among multiple client sessions?  If not, an
> alternative we thought of is to use a small table within the DB in
> conjunction with a function to keep track of the last set of data.
> The question we have, though, is the rate at which the table is
> updated (possibly many times per second) and the amount of WAL data
> that is generated by this operation.

You could use pg_memcache.

> Is there such as thing as a non-logged table or a non-logged database
> in PG?

No but if the updates taking place are on columns that are not indexed
(and you are running 8.3) then HOT will kick in and the load is
significantly reduced.

E.g.; CREATE TABLE foo (id serial pk, bar text);

UPDATE foo SET bar = 'baz';

Will not create a dead row and thus greatly reduces overall load and
maintenance requirements.

SIncerely,

Joshua D. Drake