Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: modules
Date
Re: modules  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:31:01 -0700
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Check out NetBSD pkgsrc as a model.  It is very flexible.  One nice
> > thing would be the ability to specify where the packages are rather
> > than always insisting that they be on pgfoundry.
>
> Yup - a feature shared by RubyGems:
>    gem install rails ?source http://gems.rubyonrails.org

Yes but what I am suggesting goes beyond that.  My idea is that there
is a modules directory that contains a file for each installable
module.  This file would contain all the information about the module
such as name, version, where to get the actual package, an MD5 checksum
of the package, minimum and maximum PostgreSQL versions required, etc.

Naturally we should allow for people to define their own local packages
as well.

In fact, this may be the way to deprecate contrib.  Start building
modules and move the contrib packages to it one at a time.  That way
people using contrib have some time to switch and we can point people
to modules if they are just starting out.

Is there support for this idea?  I would like to start exploring this
if so.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves